Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fearless


Why is it that fear holds us back from accomplishing personal goals?  I believe that the questions of “What if” begin to creep into our minds and before we know it we have 10 reasons why we will not be able to achieve our goals.  For me, one of those “what if” moments happened this past weekend while skiing the Heavenly High Roller Terrain Park.  I had been looking at a 15ft. barrel jump for a few days now and while my sons did not hesitate going up and over, every time I approached the jump my mind created fear of what might happen if I missed the jump.  Soon it became apparent that I was afraid to try something difficult for fear of getting hurt. 

Fear seeps into our minds and gives us doubts and reservations.  It comes in many different forms.   Financial fear, holds many people back, but I believe the worst that can happen is you end up completely broke and alone in some unfamiliar place.  Could we handle that?  I say yes.  Most people have probably experienced this at some point in their life, maybe not to the extent of being completely down and out but still poor and scared.

Moving past the grip of fear and trusting in a God given believe that what I am doing will be just fine and will work out one way or another.  It may not be as I anticipated or hoped for, but what I am doing will continue to change and morph into the next step or adventure and I will be just fine.  Trusting in myself, that I am special, that my life is important, that what I think and do is important and that no matter what I am loved.  I am free at last!!

I begin my descent towards the barrel jump picking up speed.  I visualize my approach, prepare my stance, and hit my mark, transition into the jump. I roll up onto the barrel, feeling my momentum shifting and then tumble into the snow happily, exhaling with joy.  Not quite how I envisioned the landing, but happy I took the chance.  This is what life is about, never letting fear stop us from trying something new. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment